The Shattered Realms
Ubtao (oob-tay-oh) is the patron deity of the jungle-covered land of Chult, endlessly patient and rarely emotional. The Father of the Dinosaurs maintains a palpable emotional distance from both mortals and other deities, and he seems to stand aloof from the daily doings of the world and his followers. Only since the Time of Troubles has he begun to evidence a renewed interest in the doings of followers. The many jungle spirits worshiped in Chult are all aspects of Ubtao.
The church of Ubtao is split among three wholly independent sects, all based in the Jungles of Chult among the various clans of the humans. Mazewalkers, found only among the inhabitants of the city of Mezro, see to the general spiritual welfare of the clan, while trying to prepare the faithful for their trek through the maze of life. They teach children and adults the history and lore of the Chultan peoples, provide council about important life decisions, such as marriage, attempt to mediate inter-clan and intra-clan disputes, and help teach and uphold the law of Mezro. Spiritlords, based outside the city, seek to smooth their clan’s passage through the spirit-infested world. They live to insure the clan does not offend an ancient ancestor or elemental deity by missing a ritual or a sacrifice. They can also coax favors and knowledge from the capricious and jealous spirits. Jungle druids attempt to get the scattered clans to learn how best to fit into the web of jungle life. They are often cast in the role of clan healer, and also accumulate and pass on knowledge about animals, animal behavior (including that of dinosaurs), and plants. Jungle druids are often the trainers of the few domestic animals that the humans keep.
Clerics and druids of Ubtao pray for their spells at noon, when Ubtao’s majesty hangs over all Chult. Most native humans consider themselves religious, though they show it in ways that astound travelers from other parts of Faerun. There are seemingly scores of sacred ceremonies and holy days, many of them particular to ancestors that have passed on, the time of year, the location the people are going to hunt at, move to, or pass through next, or necessary before performing certain activities, such as hunting a certain animal or burying the dead. Yet when their small, movable stone altars are not being used for these ceremonies, they treat them as if they were just another rock. Mazewalkers are usually clerics while Spiritlords are usually adepts. Jungle druids are druids. Many of the clergy multiclass as rangers.
Ubtaoan Domains: Life, Planning, Plant, Protection, Scalykind
Granted Power: Once per day, you can grant 1d6 temporary hit points +1 per cleric level to a creature you touch. These temporary hit points last for a maximum of 1 hour/level.
1. Hide from Undead: Undead can’t perceive one subject/level.
2. Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or regains 1d6 ability damage.
3. Plant Growth: Grows vegetation, improves crops.
4. Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
5. Disrupting Weapon: Melee weapon destroys undead.
6. Animate Objects: Objects attack your foes.
7. Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +35).
8. Animate Plants: One or more trees animate and fight for you.
9. Heal, Mass: As heal, but with several subjects.
Granted Power: You gain Extend Spell as a bonus feat.
1. Deathwatch: Reveals how near death subjects within 30’ are.
2. Augury (M,F): Learns whether an action will be good or bad.
3. Clairaudience/Clairvoyance: Hear or see at a distance for 1 minute/level.
4. Status: Monitors condition, position of allies.
5. Detect Scrying: Alerts you of magical eavesdropping.
6. Heroes’ Feast: Food for one creature/level cures and grants combat bonuses.
7. Scrying, Greater (F): As scrying, but faster and longer.
8. Discern Location: Reveals exact location of creature or object.
9. Time Stop: You act freely for 1d4+1 rounds.
Granted Power: You can generate a protective ward as a supernatural ability. Grant someone you touch a resistance bonus equal to your cleric level on his or her next saving throw. Activating this power is a standard action. The protective ward is an abjuration effect with a duration of 1 hour that is usable once per day.
1. Sanctuary: Opponents can’t attack you, and you can’t attack.
2. Shield Other (F): You take half of subject’s damage.
3. Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.
4. Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
5. Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.
6. Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
7. Repulsion: Creatures can’t approach you.
8. Mind Blank: Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
9. Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.
Granted Power: Rebuke or command animals (reptilian creatures and snakes only) as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. Use this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + Charisma modifier.
1. Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1 on attack and damage rolls.
2. Animal Trance: Fascinates 2d6 HD of animals. (Affects reptilian creatures only.)
3. Greater Magic Fang: One natural weapon of subject creature gets +1/four levels on attack and damage rolls (max +5).
4. Poison: Touch deals 1d10 Con damage, repeats in 1 min.
5. Animal Growth: One animal/two levels doubles in size. (Affects reptilian creatures only.)
6. Eyebite: Target becomes panicked, sickened, and comatose.
7. Creeping Doom: Swarms of tiny snakes attack at your command.
8. Animal Shapes: One ally/level polymorphs into chosen animal. (Reptilian creatures only.)
9. Shapechange: Transforms you into any creature, and change forms once per round.