The Shattered Realms
Callarduran Smoothhands (KAAHL-ur-duhr-an SMOOTHhands) is the gnome god of the earth’s depths. He oversees the deepest mines and provides protection against the horrors of the Under-dark. The Deep Brother is the patron deity of svirfneblin, also known as deep gnomes, who dwell in the lightless tunnels of Deepearth. Unlike the other demihuman powers whose worshipers reside largely in the Underdark, Callarduran is not an outcast; he voluntarily led the ancestors of the svirfneblin deep underground to encourage diversity among the Forgotten Folk. It was Callarduran who taught the deep gnomes how to summon and befriend earth elementals. A svirfneblin legend tells that his hands are worn smooth from his polishing of a massive stone of controlling earth elementals that he hides at the center of the world, granting deep gnomes their summoning abilities. Ignored by the other gnome subraces, the Deep Brother is venerated primarily by svirfneblin as their patron, with a strong emphasis on his protective aspect and his lordship of the all-encompassing earth and the treasures to be found within. Svirfneblin warriors and illusionists who defend and hide the deep gnomes from their numerous enemies form the core of the Deep Brother’s faithful.
Callarduran is closely allied with the other gods of the gnome pantheon, with the exception of Urdlen, despite the geographic division that separates his worshipers from the rest of the gnome race. The Deep Brother encourages his followers to communicate with the other gnome races and faiths. In particular, Callarduran works closely with Segojan Earthcaller, the god of the earth, and Flandal Steelskin, the god of mining, both of whom have portfolios related to that of the Deep Brother but who are more involved with rock gnomes than deep gnomes. As a matter of practicality, Callarduran has forged alliances with other non-evil powers with interests in the Underdark, including Eilistraee and Urogalan. The Deep Brother despises drow, charging his people to drive away the Spider Queen’s worshipers whenever possible. He is always battling Lolth and other evil drow powers. Similarly, Callarduran opposes the gods of other evil creatures of the Underdark, including those powers venerated by aboleths, beholders, duergar, kuo-toa, illithids, and troglodytes.
The Deep Brother is by nature solitary and thoughtful. He rarely consorts with others, even other gnome gods. He is a benign but secretive deity, caring only for his own people and their defense. He frequently dispatches his avatars to defend his followers from dangers of the Underdark. The avatar’s arrival is heralded by the sound of its humming, which can be heard through solid rock.
Callarduran Domains: Cavern, Earth, Gnome, Good, Protection
Granted Power: You gain the stonecunning ability (PHB p15). If you already have stonecunning, your racial bonus on checks to notice unusual stonework increases to +4.
1. Detect Secret Doors: Reveals hidden doors within 60’.
2. Darkness: 20’ radius of supernatural shadow.
3. Meld into Stone: You and your gear merge with stone.
4. Leomund’s Secure Shelter: Creates sturdy cottage.
5. Passwall: Creates passage through wood or stone wall.
6. Find the Path: Shows most direct way to a location.
7. Move Earth: Digs trenches and build hills.
8. Earthquake: Intense tremor shakes 5’/level radius.
9. Imprisonment: Entombs subject beneath the earth.
Granted Power: Turn or destroy air creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster earth creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.
1. Magic Stone: Three stones become +1 projectiles, 1d6 +1 damage.
2. Soften Earth and Stone: Turns stone to clay or dirt to sand or mud.
3. Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any shape.
4. Spike Stones: Creatures in area take 1d8 damage, may be lowed.
5. Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.
6. Stoneskin (M): Ignore 10 points of damage per attack.
7. Earthquake: Intense tremor shakes 80-ft.-radius.
8. Iron Body: Your body becomes living iron.
9. Elemental Swarm: Summons multiple earth elementals. (Cast as an earth spell only.)
Granted Power: You cast illusion spells at +1 caster level.
1. Silent Image: Creates minor illusion of your design.
2. Blur:Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
3. Minor Image: As silent image, plus some sound.
4. Minor Creation: Creates one cloth or wood object.
5. Hallucinatory Terrain: Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, or the like).
6. Animate Objects: Objects attack your foes.
7. Screen: Illusion hides area from vision, scrying.
8. Otto’s Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
9. Summon Nature’s Ally IX: Summons creature to fight. (Earth elementals or animals only.)
Granted Power: You cast good spells at +1 caster level.
1. Protection from Evil: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
2. Aid: +1 on attack rolls, +1 on saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +10).
3. Magic Circle against Evil: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
4. Holy Smite: Damages and blinds evil creatures.
5. Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
6. Blade Barrier: Wall of blades deals 1d6/level damage.
7. Holy Word (F): Kills, paralyzes, slows, or deafens nongood subjects.
8. Holy Aura: +4 to AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.
9. Summon Monster IX: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you. (Cast as a good spell only.)
Granted Power: You can generate a protective ward as a supernatural ability. Grant someone you touch a resistance bonus equal to your cleric level on his or her next saving throw. Activating this power is a standard action. The protective ward is an abjuration effect with a duration of 1 hour that is usable once per day.
1. Sanctuary: Opponents can’t attack you, and you can’t attack.
2. Shield Other (F): You take half of subject’s damage.
3. Protection from Energy: Absorb 12 points/level of damage from one kind of energy.
4. Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
5. Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.
6. Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
7. Repulsion: Creatures can’t approach you.
8. Mind Blank: Subject is immune to mental/emotional magic and scrying.
9. Prismatic Sphere: As prismatic wall, but surrounds on all sides.