The Shattered Realms
Baervan Wildwanderer (BAY-ur-van WILD-WAN-der-er) is the god of forest-dwelling gnomes and their communities, travel, and the outdoors. He loves oak trees and all forest animals and is guardian of the wild. Baervan gifted forest gnomes with the ability to communicate with forest animals, and taught them to how to hide in and move through wooded environments without being detected. The Masked Leaf is the patron god of forest gnomes, but he is well loved by all of the gnome subraces. He is even revered by the svirfneblin as the Father of Fish and Fungus. Baervan is worshiped by those who love the woodlands, as well as many wanderers, rogues, and fighters, particularly those who prefer living in the outdoors rather than in a city all the time.
Baervan’s friend and constant companion in his escapades is a giant raccoon named Chiktikka Fastpaws, who is highly intelligent but prone to act before he thinks. Many stories are told of the adventures that this duo has shared, often started by Chiktikka’s humorous ability to get into trouble by borrowing something valuable, such as a minor artifact. Baervan is closely allied with the other gods of the gnome pantheon, with the notable exception of Urdlen. He works closely with Segojan Earthcaller, for both gods are concerned with the natural world.
Traditionally, their portfolios are divided between caring for forest animals and plants for Baervan, and burrowing animals for Segojan. Baervan sometimes accompanies Garl on his mischievous escapades, and the duo’s shared interest in mischief embodies and encourages this aspect of the gnome psyche. Baervan’s carefree nature and penchant for jests sometimes strains the patience of Gaerdal Ironhand. Baervan is closely allied with many of the sylvan powers of the Seelie Court. The Masked Leaf is also a frequent participant in the councils of Rillifane Rallathil and Silvanus, though he rarely has the patience to sit through an entire discussion with these slow-speaking woodland giants. Baervan has few foes aside from Urdlen, although Malar the Beastlord has earned his ire for hunting forest gnomes under the Masked Leaf’s protection.
Baervan is gentle, good-natured, and mischievous. His penchant for good-natured pranks rivals Garl Glittergold. Except for Chiktikka’s company, he tends to keep to himself. Though Baervan sometimes plays jokes on others, it is hard not to like him. The Masked Leaf’s tricks are often designed to serve some purpose, unlike the mischief typical of Forgotten Folk. If Baervan wants to send someone a message, he does so in the form of a joke. Baervan dispatches avatars to help repair severe damage to nature, though sometimes just to create mischief.
Baervannan Domains: Animal, Gnome, Good, Plant, Travel
Granted Powers: You can use speak with animals once per day as a spell-like ability.
Add Knowledge (Nature) to your list of cleric class skills.
1. Calm Animals: Calms (2d4 + level) HD of animals.
2. Hold Animal: Paralyzes one animal for 1 round/level.
3. Dominate Animal: Subject animal obeys silent mental commands.
4. Summon Nature’s Ally IV: Calls creature to fight. (Can only summon animals.)
5. Commune with Nature: Learn about terrain for 1 mile/level.
6. Antilife Shell: 10-ft. field hedges out living creatures.
7. Animal Shapes: One ally/level polymorphs into chosen animal.
8. Summon Nature’s Ally VIII: Calls creature to fight. (Can only summon animals.)
9. Shapechange: Transforms you into any creature, and change forms once per round.
Granted Power: You cast illusion spells at +1 caster level.
1. Silent Image: Creates minor illusion of your design.
2. Blur:Attacks miss subject 20% of the time.
3. Minor Image: As silent image, plus some sound.
4. Minor Creation: Creates one cloth or wood object.
5. Hallucinatory Terrain: Makes one type of terrain appear like another (field into forest, or the like).
6. Animate Objects: Objects attack your foes.
7. Screen: Illusion hides area from vision, scrying.
8. Otto’s Irresistible Dance: Forces subject to dance.
9. Summon Nature’s Ally IX: Summons creature to fight. (Earth elementals or animals only.)
Granted Power: You cast good spells at +1 caster level.
1. Protection from Evil: +2 to AC and saves, counter mind control, hedge out elementals and outsiders.
2. Aid: +1 on attack rolls, +1 on saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +10).
3. Magic Circle against Evil: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
4. Holy Smite: Damages and blinds evil creatures.
5. Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks by evil creatures.
6. Blade Barrier: Wall of blades deals 1d6/level damage.
7. Holy Word (F): Kills, paralyzes, slows, or deafens nongood subjects.
8. Holy Aura: +4 to AC, +4 resistance, and SR 25 against evil spells.
9. Summon Monster IX: Calls extraplanar creature to fight for you. (Cast as a good spell only.)
Granted Powers: Rebuke or command plant creatures as an evil cleric rebukes or commands undead. Use this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.
Add Knowledge (Nature) to your list of cleric class skills.
1. Entangle: Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft.-radius.
2. Barkskin: Grants ’+2 (or higher) enhancement to natural armor.
3. Plant Growth: Grows vegetation, improves crops.
4. Command Plants: Sway the actions of one or more plant creatures.
5. Wall of Thorns: Thorns damage anyone who tries to pass.
6. Repel Wood: Pushes away wooden objects.
7. Animate Plants: One or more trees animate and fight for you.
8. Control Plants: Control actions of one or more plant creatures.
9. Shambler: Summons 1d4+2 shambling mounds to fight for you.
Granted Powers: For a total time per day of 1 round per cleric level you possess, you can act normally regardless of magical effects that impede movement as if you were affected by the spell freedom of movement. This effect occurs automatically as soon as it applies, lasts until it runs out or is no longer needed, and can operate multiple times per day (up to the total daily limit of rounds). This granted power is a supernatural ability.
Add Survival to your list of cleric class skills.
1. Longstrider: Increases your speed.
2. Locate Object: Senses direction toward object (specific or type).
3. Fly: Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.
4. Dimension Door: Teleports you short distance.
5. Teleport: Instantly transports you as far as 100 miles/level.
6. Find the Path: Shows most direct way to a location.
7. Teleport, Greater: As teleport, but no range limit and no off-target arrival.
8. Phase Door: Creates an invisible passage through wood or stone.
9. Astral Projection (M): Projects you and companions onto Astral Plane.